We see 18-wheelers on the road every day. You can take a 15-minute or 30-minute drive to work and you can see ten 18-wheelers during that span. With something as big as a truck, it is expected that there will be breakdowns. Some faulty equipment or any other type of issue with the truck can cause an accident or a tired driver can suddenly fall asleep and hit another vehicle.
Chattanooga 18-Wheeler accident attorneys know these accidents are always scary because this large vehicle is crashing into a significantly smaller car or truck. If anyone is involved in an 18-wheeler accident, there can be serious injuries that will require medical treatment and sometimes the other driver will not survive.
When you are on the road, what can you do to give you the best chances of avoiding an 18-wheeler accident?
- If you can prevent this, do not drive at night because there are many 18-wheelers out on the road during the nighttime.
- If there are any side streets that you are comfortable taking, you can take those streets to avoid any 18-wheeler.
- If you are driving on the main highway, you can try to stay as far away from them as possible. You should not try to increase your speed to catch up to the truck.
- Avoid cutting off the 18-wheeler because the driver may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting you.
- Do not drive in spots on the highway that will make it difficult for the truck driver to see you.
Being in an accident can be a difficult time, not only for you but for you family. If you were involved in an 18-wheeler accident and you need help, contact us today.