Side Impact Auto Accident Stock Photo

Chattanooga Auto Accident and Truck Accident Checklist

Get a FREE Case Review

At the accident scene:

1.If no one is injured, call the police via the Chattanooga non-emergency phone number 1-423-698-2525.

2. If someone is injured and you are able:

  • Call 911 to arrange for the injured party’s transportation to a hospital.
  • Tell the investigating officer about the injuries.
  • Cooperate fully with the treating doctor and medical staff who arrive on the scene and provide assistance as needed.

3. Do NOT move damaged vehicle(s) or accident debris unless the vehicle(s) are a hazard for oncoming traffic. Wait for further instruction from the investigating police officer before moving anything.

4. Do NOT discuss the accident with anyone other than the investigating police officer, your doctor(s), your own insurance representatives and your lawyer.

5. Make a note of any statements made by the driver or occupants of the other vehicle as to how the accident occurred.

6. Get the name, address, telephone number and automobile insurance information from the driver of the other vehicle.

7. Get the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.

8. Be sure to tell the investigating officer if you believe the driver of the other vehicle may have been driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

After leaving the accident scene:

1. Call The McMahan Law Firm at 1-800-779-5822. We handle automobile accident personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. It’s free to call and ask us for advice about your accident case, and if we take on your case, we don’t get paid unless we win and you collect a settlement.

2. Call your automobile insurance agent and report the accident.

3. Take photographs of all the damage to your vehicle if you haven’t already done so.

4. If the damage to your vehicle exceeds $400, you will need to report it to the Tennessee Department of Safety within 20 days of the accident. Download the blank State of Tennessee Department of Safety Owner/Driver Report, or request a form from the police department.

5. Seek additional medical assistance right away if you begin to experience new pain or any new physical or mental symptoms in the days or weeks following the accident.