A motorcycle accident can be devastating. It is of the utmost importance to follow certain procedures after an accident to ensure you receive proper compensation. Medical bills, lost wages, and debilitating mental anguish can often follow an incident. If the accident wasn’t your fault you should have to be stuck with the bills while you’re trying to recover.
Here are some tips on what to do after an accident.
- Call the police and seek medical attention immediately after the accident if you are able. Because of the initial shock of an accident, victims sometimes feel physically capable. However, after the adrenaline of the accident wears off, many experience pain or complications. It is always best to seek medical attention after a motorcycle accident.
- Take photos of the scene. By taking photos, you can help your attorney build your case. The situation of the vehicles, road conditions, obstructions etc. can aid your lawyer in building a sound case.
- Exchange information with all parties involved in the accident. This is crucial to ensure that witnesses and bystanders of the accident can be contacted by your lawyer. A statement from a credible witness may help your personal injury case.
- Draw a diagram of the crash area including street names. It is also wise to describe where a vehicle was headed at the time of the crash and the distances between the vehicles.
- Do not admit fault. No matter what the situation, do not admit to any party involved your fault in the accident. Do take note and write down any statements made by the other party. Only insurance and contact information should be exchanged with the other participants in the accident.
- Contact your lawyer and seek advice immediately on how to handle the information you have collected.
Chattanooga personal injury attorneys are here to help after a devastating motorcycle accident. The attorneys at The McMahan Law Firm work relentlessly to get you the compensation you deserve and seek justice on your behalf. We offer services our on a contingency basis; if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, we invite you to contact us for a free consultation. If we don’t win, you don’t pay.