While many people like to have a few beers or a glass of wine with friends, it is important to drink responsibly. As Knoxville accident attorneys, we want to make sure you drive safely on the road, and part of driving safely is avoiding a DUI. Before getting in your vehicle after drinking with friends, consider the potential costs of driving under the influence.
- Fines and penalties for a first DUI offense are $350 to $1,500. The second offense will cost between $600 and $3,500. Fines and penalties for subsequent DUI offenses can be several thousand dollars.
- Those convicted of a DUI in Tennessee can expect to spend at least 48 hours in jail, and they may spend up to 11 months in jail for the first offense. Additional convictions may result in up to six years of jail time. Jail time can result in other unwanted consequences, including loss of wages and loss of job.
- Even just one DUI conviction will result in a one-year license suspension. A second conviction will result in a two-year license suspension. Later conviction may result in suspension of a driver’s license for five or more years. Inability to drive will require using public transportation, having someone else drive, walking, or cycling to work and other locations.
- Relationships with family and friends may also suffer negative consequences because of DUIs.
- The cost of a DUI is even higher if people are killed by a drunk driver. The person may be charged with vehicular homicide or another related crime, and jail time will be much longer.
- According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, there are roughly 30 people in the United States killed daily by an alcohol-impaired driver. In 2013, that amounted to 10,076 people who died in alcohol-related crashes nationwide. Eighty percent were either a driver with a BAC above the legal limit or passengers in that person’s vehicle.
- Between 2003 and 2012, 3,423 people died in crashes in Tennessee involving a drunk driver.
Driver responsibly, and if you are injured in an accident involving a drunk driver, contact us.